The Asian American Research Center on Health (ARCH) includes prominent
For healthy weight charts in different Asian languages, click here.
We are continuing to refine the Asian BMI calculator http://asianarch.org/bmi/calc/BMICalculator.html and healthy weight chart in multiple Asian languages http://asianarch.org/resources.html . Please disseminate to clinicians and community members and send us feedback!
We welcome new ARCH associate members: Ni (Jennie) Zhang, an Assistant Professor from the Department of Health Science and Recreation at San Jose State University and Edith Chen, a Professor of Asian American Studies from Cal State University, Northridge.
For those presenting at APHA in Chicago, feel free to send me your session number, title, and date/time and we will send out a compiled list before the meeting. I do want to alert you to the API Caucus Reception on Tuesday night and a special session on AAPIs and Aging on Monday 11/2 at 1030am. Richard Lui and I will moderate a discussion with a distinguished panel consisting of AARP Vice President of Diversity Daphne Kwok, NIA Director of the Office of Special Populations Carl Hill, Dean of the Columbia School of Social Work and former Assistant Secretary on Aging Jeanette Takamura, and CEO of the National Asian Pacific Center on Aging Wesley Lum. https://apha.confex.com/apha/143am/webprogram/Session46159.html
- Congratulations to Van M. Ta Park on the awarding of an Alzheimer’s Association Mentored New Investigator Research Grant to Promote Diversity for a study on culturally tailoring a program to reduce stress and depression among Vietnamese dementia caregivers.
- Congratulations to Van M. Ta Park on the awarding of San Jose State University research grants supporting her project entitled “Culturally Tailored Program for Vietnamese Caregivers.”
- Congratulations to Jane Jih who received a National Institute on Aging GEMSSTAR (R03) grant for the study entitled “Identifying and Assessing Food Insecurity in Older Diverse Primary Care Patients.”
Congratulations to ARCH investigators for their recent publications and presentations!
- JiWon Choi, Melinda Bender, Yoshimi Fukuoka and co-authors published “Factors Associated with Underestimation of Weight Status among Caucasian, Latino, Filipino, and Korean Americans--DiLH Survey” in Ethnicity & Disease.
- Jyu-Lin Chen published in a manuscript in Clinical Pediatric reporting on an 8 weekly small group healthy weight management intervention for overweight or obese Chinese American children.
- Janice Tsoh, Nancy Burke, Ching Wong, Angela Sun, Stephen McPhee, Tung Nguyen and colleagues published “A Social Network Family-Focused Intervention to Promote Smoking Cessation in Chinese and Vietnamese American Male Smokers: A Feasibility Study” in Nicotine & Tobacco Research.
- Van M. Ta Park, Tung Nguyen, and colleagues published a mixed methods pilot study exploring postpartum traditions, mental health, and health-seeking considerations among Vietnamese American women. Dr. Park and colleagues also pubished a pilot qualitative study of Asian Indian mothers and their perspectives of postpartum depression, two emerging themes were culture-specific post-partum practices and ceremonies and their role in maternal-infant postpartum recovery and maternal mental health help-seeking behavior.
Click on the link here for Abstract Highlights.
[ Back to Top ]