The Asian American Research Center on Health (ARCH) includes prominent
Chinese Lay Health Worker
For healthy weight charts in different Asian languages, click here.
We are continuing to refine the Asian BMI calculator http://asianarch.org/bmi/calc/BMICalculator.html and healthy weight chart in multiple Asian languages http://asianarch.org/resources.html . Please disseminate to clinicians and community members and send us feedback!
Last ARCH's Quarterly Meeting 8/25/16
Presentation: “Improving colorectal cancer screening in South Asian Americans” by
Ma Somsouk, MD, MAS, Associate Professor of Medicine, UCSF
Scarlett Lin Gomez, PhD, MPH, Research Scientist, Cancer Prevention Institute of California
- Congratulations to Yoshimi Fukuoka on the awarding of a NIH K24 Midcareer Investigator Award in Patient-Oriented Research.
- Congratulations to Tung Nguyen on his selection as an UCSF Dean’s Diversity Leader to lead institutional efforts to increase the diversity of discovery topics, clinical research and the scientific workforce to provide better insights into the health and health care needs of an increasingly diverse population.
- Congratulations to Alka Kanaya’s MASALA study which was highlighted in a recent New York Times article about heart disease among South Asians: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/29/opinion/sunday/the-heart-disease-conundrum.html?_r=0
Congratulations to ARCH investigators for their recent publications and presentations!
- Bang Nguyen, Tung Nguyen, Stephen McPhee and others report on the effectiveness of a lay health worker intervention to increase colorectal cancer screening among Vietnamese Americans in a randomized controlled trial in the American Journal of Public Health.
- Tung Nguyen was a co-author on a report of the efficacy of a church-based small group intervention to promote hepatitis B screening in a cluster randomized controlled trial led by UCLA investigators and published in Cancer, Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention.
- Maria Chao and co-authors published “Improving Patient-Centered Care: A Cross-Sectional Survey of Prior Use and Interest in Complementary and Integrative Health Approaches Among Hospitalized Oncology Patients” in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.
- Asian Pacific Partners for Empowerment, Advocacy and Leadership (APPEAL) and collaborators report on a national Asian-language Smokers’ Quitline from 2012-2014.
- Mandana Khalili and collaborators published a manuscript in Hepatology reporting on factors predictive of diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in a large hepatitis B virus infected multiethnic cohort.
- Scarlett Lin Gomez, Irene Yen and co-authors published “The impact of neighborhood social and built environment factors across the cancer continuum: Current research, methodological considerations, and future direction” in Cancer.
- Celia Kaplan, Tung Nguyen and colleagues published “Knowledge and attitudes regards clinical trials and willingness to participate among prostate cancer patients” in Contemporary Clinical Trials.
- Irene Yen, Alka Kanaya and co-authors published “Neighborhood Walkability and Walking for Transport among South Asians in the MASALA Study” in Journal of Physical Activity and Health.
- Alka Kanaya and collaborators published “Neighborhood Social Cohesion and Prevalence of Hypertension and Diabetes in a South Asian Population” in the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
Click on the link here for Abstract Highlights.
[ Back to Top ]